Monday, June 7, 2010

Our Family Wedding - Zero Stars


I don't even get the point of this movie. I can understand remakes or franchises - there's money to be made there, so when someone asks me what the point is of remaking, say, Planet of the Apes, I know the answer - money. But this movie, Our Family Wedding, which is just an awful, thinly-veiled remake of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? posed as a Carlos Mencia-vehicle is something I don't understand.

First of all, I doubt any of Carlos' audience wanted to see him in a comedy that was marketed the way this movie was. I assumed this was a family-friendly, silly movie about two kids getting married. Instead, we get something that is flat-out racist and more offensive with every turn, which is exactly what his fans would be into.

Perhaps this movie would have worked as a sitcom, especially when one considers the level of comedy reached for in the movie's screenplay. Every line is "bro", "beaner", "ese", whatever - and it's all played for laughs. Too bad it never gets them.

No comments:

Post a Comment